June 27, 2021 by Mona K. Pohl on behalf of the Hingham Downtown Association (courtesy photos)
We’re heading into the peak of summer when the tomatoes are deliriously good and corn on the cob is in its defining moment. The end-of-July summer sidewalk sales in downtown Hingham, a long-standing tradition, also mark this time of year. Though the streets of Downtown have been generally busier, they take on a more energetic hum during the annual sales.
On Thursday, July 29, Friday, July 30 and Saturday, July 31, merchants will showcase selected wares outside on racks and creatively arranged tables, and the hunt for treasures and great deals will begin. The practiced shoppers in town will make sure they get out early on the first day to score items that go on sale only during this time of year. It could be a dress or a lamp that was a tentative purchase a month ago, but with the reduced price and availability, it becomes a definite acquisition.
This is an opportunity for the stores to make room for early fall and holiday merchandise by weeding out seasonal items or single pieces that need a home. It’s the perfect chance to find both an abundance of sale bargains and new merchandise that just arrived.
There will be abundant options from a variety of Hingham Downtown Association (HDA) members. Here’s a glimpse of some of the participating merchants and the clothing, shoes, accessories, items for home, and gifts that will be included in their sales:
- Acquire Good -- 50% off select summer items and 20% off all in-store and online items
- Home in Harmony Designs -- As much as 50% off selected floor sample pieces, designer furniture, pillows, rugs, and lighting
- Intrinsic Provisions -- Select brands on sale including, 20%-30% off Stio and 30% off Topo Designs
- Kindred -- 25% off all Sugar Feather Pillows, 25% off Leallo Sweatshirts/Sweatpants, 25% of all Kalyana Textiles bedding, 25% of Alicia Bell clothing, and 25% off all woven baskets
- kloTH -- Merchandise from all seasons including shoes will be discounted -- best prices of the year, along with lots of hidden gems
- Waterhouse -- French linen/cotton pillows for $25 (regularly $85), many vintage/antiques that will be priced to sell, and tables featuring $5 and $10 sale items
In addition to the sidewalk sales, there will be musical entertainment Downtown by the band Take Out on Saturday, July 31 from 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. Founded by Hingham residents, bandmates and husband and wife, Robin and Matt Teague, Take Out is an R&B/Soul/Pop cover band that includes musicians from the Boston area. Matt and Robin love bringing these musicians to the South Shore so people can experience a variety of high quality music where, as Robin explains, “their feet can’t stop moving and the dance floor is always full.”
Saturday’s performance will feature: Robin Teague, saxophonist, back-up singer and band teacher in the Scituate school system; Matt Teague, guitarist; Andrea Capozzoli, Berkeley Professor, Hifi Music band, solo band singer and trumpet player; Plamen Karadonev, Berkeley Professor, on keyboards; veteran New England musician Jaques Smith Jr., Hifi Music band and many others, on the drums.
Celebrate every minute of summer and enjoy being outside, sauntering down the streets and shopping for unique items, listening to great music, and being part of the Downtown community.
For more information about the annual sidewalk sales and the Hingham Downtown Association (HDA), visit discoverhingham.com.