February 25, 2022 By Carol Britton Meyer
Fifteen citizens have taken out nomination papers for the upcoming town election, including several incumbents and seven potential candidates who have not held elected office in Hingham before, as of Feb. 25.
Eleven elected town officers have terms expiring in 2022, representing the role of town moderator and 10 different boards, committees, and commissions.
These include select board, school committee, planning board, board of assessors, board of health, municipal light board, housing authority, and the recreation and sewer commissions.
Nomination papers for this year's town election -- date to be determined -- are still available and are due back by March 11.
"While 50 certified signatures of voters registered in the Town of Hingham are required to be placed on the ballot, it's recommended that those submitting papers obtain a minimum of 75 signatures," according to Town Clerk Carol Falvey.
Town Moderator Michael Puzo, Select Board Chair Joseph M. Fisher, Board of Assessors members Christine M. Roberts and Carlton A. Chambers, School Committee member Nancy (Nes) Correnti, Planning Board member Gordon M. Carr, and Board of Health member and Sewer Commissioner Kirk J. Shilts have pulled papers for their current seats.
Michael D. Reive pulled papers for the Municipal Light Board seat formerly held by Roger Freeman, who resigned. Alyson B. Anderson, Matthew J. Cosman, and Matthew B. LeBretton took out nomination papers for School Committee.
Most recently, Randall M. Winters pulled papers for the Board of Assessors, Stephen P. Buckley for Recreation Commission, and Michelle A. Larned for Housing Authority.
Roberts, Correnti, Reive, Anderson, and Cosman have already returned their papers.
There are two School Committee members with seats expiring this year besides Correnti -- Liza O'Reilly and Carlos Da Silva. Neither had taken out nomination papers as of Friday (Feb. 25).
Those who return their completed nomination papers become official candidates once the required number of signatures are certified. Having more candidates than the number of available seats on a particular committee, commission, or board, constitutes a race.
Potential candidates are asked to contact the Town Clerk's office ahead of time to schedule an appointment to pick up papers at either (781) 741-1410 or email@example.com.
The following is a complete list of incumbents with terms expiring in 2022:
- MODERATOR (1-year term), Michael J. Puzo
- SELECT BOARD (3-year term), Joseph M. Fisher
- BOARD OF ASSESSORS (3-year term), Carlton "Al" Chambers, who was appointed by the Select Board recently to fill the vacancy left by the late Greg Hall’s earlier resignation until the Spring 2022 town election. This position will be placed on the ballot by the Select Board for the balance of Greg Hall's original term (expiring in 2023), which is one year.
Christine M. Roberts
- BOARD OF HEALTH (3-year term), Kirk J. Shilts
- MUNICIPAL LIGHT BOARD (3-year term), Roger M. Freeman (resigned) -- successor to be determined in 2022 town election
- HOUSING AUTHORITY (5-year term), Greg O’Meara
- SCHOOL COMMITTEE (3-year term)
Elizabeth (Liza) O’Reilly
Carlos A. F. Da Silva
Nancy (Nes) Correnti
- PLANNING BOARD (5-year term), Gordon M. Carr
- SEWER COMMISSION (3-year term), Kirk J. Shilts
- RECREATION COMMISSION (5-year term), Nandita S. Scott
Check back for updates.